9/7/22 update: SUCCESS! Participants in the Summer 2022 SNAC racked up an incredible 1,855 outdoor adventures between July 4th and Labor Day! With this goal met, $2,000 each will be given to our beneficiaries! Thanks to everyone who got outside, helped to spread the word, or otherwise supported this Challenge. It truly takes a community to make this work and we’ve got a strong one here!
We hope you continue to get outside over the fall. We’ll be taking a break before we start to plan the Winter version of the SNAC. Stay tuned!
GIVE BACK WHEN YOU GET OUTSIDE!
You’re invited to join the Summer 2022 Second Nature Adventure Challenge to help raise money for outdoor youth programming in the Maine West region.
THE COMMUNITY CHALLENGE
Because we know people sometimes need a little extra incentive to make time to get out and enjoy local trails and outdoor activities, the Maine West initiative is challenging people across the Oxford Hills, Bethel/Mahoosuc region, and the River Valley to earn cash rewards for local youth organizations. We are challenging people get out for a total of 1,500 outdoor adventures between July 4 and Labor Day to help our local youth and after school programs get kids outside and enjoying nature.
THE COMMUNITY REWARD
Once we meet the goals, Maine West will contribute $6,000 ($2,000 each) to help three local afterschool programs pay for supplies, equipment, and transportation to help kids enjoy outdoor adventures. Beneficiaries of the Summer 2022 Second Nature Adventure Challenge include:
- Bethel Area: Mahoosuc Kids Association
- Oxford Hills: Oxford SACC
- River Valley: Western Foothills Kids Association
We’re bringing the same improvements we rolled out in the Winter 2022 SNAC to this event. You may remember that we’ve been asking for your feedback along the way and using it to make things better and easier.
Those changes include:
- You can now participate by getting outside and active ANYWHERE in Maine school districts 10, 56, 44 or 17 (the Maine West area). It doesn’t have to be on a trail anymore–although we still encourage you to check out the many excellent trails in our area. Our friends at Maine Trail Finder provide a great way to find the right trail in the right place for you.
- We’re counting all sorts of outdoor activities, including the usual stuff like walking, hiking, paddling, biking and rolling. We’re also including things like disc golfing, geocaching, and swimming (in the amazing natural swimming spots we have–not in pools). We just want people to get out in nature and moving!
- We’ve made signing up and participating in the Challenge easier than ever. It’s as simple as filling out a quick form to let us know when you’ve gotten outside, which takes about a minute. Seriously–just a minute! The form will be active for the dates of the Challenge, but you can sneak a look at it below. You’ll also be able to access it via QR codes at trail heads and other popular outdoor places, and we’ll share it via social media as well.
Wondering where to get out? Looking for an event where you can hit the trails with others? We’ll be sharing information regularly about trails, events and more through our Facebook and Instagram accounts. Follow us to stay in the loop!